Friday, May 13, 2011

Maternity (or Not) skirt

      This is a repost from Thursday because Blogger decided to eat my post!


      This is a "maternity or not " skirt, because it can be worn before, during, and after pregnancy. I like stretchy waisted skirts anyway, because they are comfy and can adjust easily to an ever changing waist size.

     This skirt can be made with just a yard of material. I found this pretty embroidered material in the remnant bin at the fabric store. I always scour through the remnant bin, because often the pieces are a yard in length. They sell them at a discount so it is cheaper than if you were to buy a yard of that same material off of the bolt.
     Determine how long you want the skirt to be and cut your yard straight across accordingly.


     I had to use a second layer, because mine was see through. Sew a gathering stitch across the top. If you are using two layers just sew them together with the gathering stitch.


     Gather the top and sew up the sides. Make sure the top is large enough to fit easily over your hips.


     For the waist band, I used the bottom half of an old knit shirt. You could also just sew a tube of knit fabric.


     Fold the tube in on itself so the right sides are facing out.


     Pop the band inside your skirt and pin at the sides.


     Sew or serge around the top, making sure to catch all three (or four as the case may be) layers. Hem the bottom. Now you have this.


     I decided mine needed a belt just for pretties, but you could stop here if you like. To make the belt just grab whatever scrap you cut off the original yard and either serge or hem it. I wanted mine to tie off centered in the front, so I found the spot on the belt that would be right at my hip if I were to tie it there. I sewed a gathering stitch and gathered it.


     I then sewed it to the skirt half on the knit and half on the cotton.


     And there you have it! This is a super comfy skirt to get you through the upcoming hot months.


     I have some pretty yellow seersucker I want to make another variation with soon. Have fun sewing!


Linking to:

11 comments:

  1. What a simple, comfy skirt. I wish I'd had something akin to this when I was expecting. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks as comfortable as it is adorable!! Love the way it came out! I am visiting from Tatertots and Jello and I am a new follower!! Hope to see you around!
    Have a great weekend!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.blogpspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute skirt and simple instructions! Thanks for sharing - I'm looking for easy ideas for maternity clothes to get me through the summer. :) Visiting from TT&J!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to let you know I featured you over at Blissful and Domestic. Stop by and grab a button.

    www.blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great project! I love that skirt, I think I should make one like that.
    Thanks for showing us how.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just stopping by from tater tots and jello. What a great idea this is! I would love to have you come and share this at my Fantastic Friday link party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just wanted to ask if you would be interested in being a guest blogger on Blissful ad Domestic. I am doing a hair week in June and am hoping to get some guest bloggers to share some hair tips, tricks, or accessory ideas. I would love if you would want to share a tutorial. Let me know what you think.

    blissful_and_domestic@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea!!! I've spent the afternoon working on some maternity dresses---finding decent/affordable matenity clothes is so hard I finally decided to try making my own.

    I love your idea! Thank you so much for sharing!
    liZ
    (simplesimonandco)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so beautiful! I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome! I am almost seven months and starting to really expand, so this is perfect for me. I am going to bookmark this tutorial and get to work on one as soon as I find some fabric! Thanks for the great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute!!! Thanks for linking with air your laundry friday!

    ReplyDelete