Friday, May 13, 2011

Tag Blankets

    
     I've been working on finishing up some baby gifts that I need to mail off. Tag blankets are probably my favorite baby gift to make. I love to use bright, fun fabric and I just enjoy making them. They are super simple to make, and you can use up scrap ribbon in the process.
     I start with a 12 inch by 12 inch piece for the back. I used fleece for these.


     I cut 9 squares, 4 inches by 4 inches. I used flannel. I used to use cotton, but I prefer flannel now. It is so much more cozy feeling. You can make each block a different print, or use three prints or whatever. I prefer to keep it at two. Arrange them how you want them to look sewn together.


     Sew them into strips.


     Sew the strips into a square.


      At this point I serge around the whole thing. I'm not sure it's really necessary so you can skip that part if you like. Cut 4 strips of ribbon 5 inches long in three different colors.


     Place the top and bottom layers of your blanket right sides together. Loop each piece of ribbon in half and pin inside the layers.


      Make sure the ends of the ribbon line up with the edge of your material as straight as possible.


      Sew all the way round, being sure to catch the ribbon as you sew.


     Don't forget to leave an opening to turn it right side out.


      Clip your corners, turn it right side out, and sew the hole closed. I like to top stitch around the whole thing to make it look tidy, and to make sure those tags won't come out if ferociously tugged on.




     This one goes with the little pink bird burp cloth set and wipes case I made here. I was having so much fun, I had to make another to go with the blue bird burp cloth set for my own little lady soon to arrive.


       These really are quite addicting to make, especially with all the adorable flannel prints out there.


     Unfortunately, I'll have to take a short break from any further major furniture re-do's and things of that sort. I have to keep this little bun in the oven till she is good and ready to make her grand entrance. Looks like it will be mostly sewing and smaller projects for a little while. I'll miss the variety, but threats of bed rest are more than enough to make me surrender my sandpaper and paint brush for a little while. =)

Linking to:
Simple Home Life
Tatertots and Jello
The Freckled Laundry
Be Different Act Normal
Sun Scholars
Sew Much Ado
Someday Crafts
Tea Rose Home
Goodbye city, hello suburbs
Sew Woodsy

6 comments:

  1. My 6 month old loves her taggie! You have me motivated to make some for all of the babies we will be welcoming in the next few months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These taggie blankies are wonderful for littles. Yours turned out great, and I'm sure they'll be loved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love these and my grand-babies do as well thanks for sharing such great pictures come visit me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so sweet! Great tutorial!

    I would love to have you share this at my For the Kids link party! Come join the fun!

    http://sunscholars.blogspot.com/2011/05/for-kids-friday-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to put down the sand paper before my son came- and he still came 10 days early! I'd love it if you stopped by Workshop Wednesday and shared it for the party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've yet to make one, but I want too! Yours looks awesome! Great job. I found your blog through Someday Crafts. I’d love if you stop by Sew Woodsy and link this project up!

    ReplyDelete